A little bit of insight to London; art, bars, cafes, clubs, restaurants, and other things to do in this wonderful multicultural city.

Thursday 24 October 2013

How to get to know London?

It's really hard to say you belong somewhere, or that you "know" your city. People often come up to me asking me for directions, but they start with the phrase "Are you from here?" or other things to that effect. I never know what to say. I don't think of myself as a Londoner yet, I live in London, and I have for a while but I definitely don't know the whole city well. I know are few sections of the city. 
So how did I get to know those areas? 
- By exploring
- With the help of Google Maps
- With friends
- By being curious
- By following the groups of people (that's how I know where Columbia Market is)
If I'm walking around I tend to know where I am. Being in London has helped me a lot with my orientation skills. There are still roads I prefer to walk down than others, but I love finding the little path that has that amazing café or shop. I'm very fond of taking the tube. Understanding the buses in London is difficult without Google. (As you can tell I'm a big fan of Google) mostly because not all the stops are mentioned on the timetables so you need to guess the route. I don't know much about North West London, but I'm sure I'll explore that area sooner or later. 
How do you find cute cafés in a big city? Any tips or tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC